Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tully Talks

I think that Gever Tully's teaching method, through the Tinkering School, teaches the young kids a lot about life in general. I think that it was totally unique how they celebrated their failures. This school teaches the kids that it is OK to fail, that not everything is based on a win or fail scale. I love how this school celebrates everything and how it shows the kids that it is sometimes essential to fail. I believe that you learn more from failures than you do your successes, and in today's system of education and even today's society, failures are disciplined. When someone fails, the world views it as an embarrassment, not a learning experience. This needs to change on a worldwide scale, these failures need to be seen as a sign of strength, not weakness. I know that I thrive in a very hands on and kinesthetic environment. I excel in environments where I am free to problem solve and create things that work.

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally on the part you said about how everyone views failure as an embarrassment and how that needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to learn something new is to fail. Doing what you can do, or already know how to do is just exercising knowledge you already have.

    ReplyDelete